Date of birth: 24 Feb 1960
1983 MBBS, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
1985 MD, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
1986 Member of the Royal College of Physicians, London
1992 MSc (Biochemistry, Distinction), King’s College, London
2009- BHF Chair of Cardiovascular Medicine, Honorary Consultant Cardiologist, University of Oxford
2010- Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine & Fellow of Green Templeton College, University of Oxford
1996-1998 Instructor, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute & Harvard Medical School
1998-2008 Wellcome Senior Fellow in Clinical Science, University of Oxford
Research leadership positions:
2008-14 Theme Leader, Cardiovascular Development, British Heart Foundation Centre of Research Excellence, University of Oxford
2014-18 Theme Leader, Target Discovery and Therapeutics, British Heart Foundation Centre of Research Excellence, University of Oxford
Awards & Honours
1990 MRC Training Fellowship
1992 Boehringer Prize for Biochemistry, Kings College, London
1994 British Heart Foundation International Fellowship
1996 NIH Clinician Scientist Fellowship
1998 Wellcome Senior Fellowship
2002 Reader in Cardiovascular Medicine (Titular) University of Oxford
2003 Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians
2003 Wellcome Senior Fellowship (renewal)
2004 Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine (Titular), University of Oxford
2005 Graham Bull Prize, Royal College of Physicians
2006 Fellowship of the Academy of Medical Sciences
2009 British Heart Foundation Chair of Cardiovascular Medicine
2010 Fellow of the European Society of Cardiology
Positions of responsibility
2001-05 Scientific Advisory Board, Topotarget Prolifix Ltd., Abingdon
2002 MRC Expert Advisory Group
2002 Health Research Board (Ireland) Programme Grants Committee
2002-06 British Heart Foundation Project Grants Committee
2005 British Heart Foundation Fellowships Committee
2007 International Scientific Advisory Panel for Cardiovascular Gene Ontology
2008-12 Nucleus Member, European Society of Cardiology Working Group on Developmental Anatomy & Pathology
2008- Editorial Board, Circulation: Cardiovascular Genetics
2015-2018 Scientific Evaluation Committee, ERA-Net for Research Programmes on Rare Diseases
2015- Scientific Advisory Panel, Ted Rogers Centre for Heart Research, University of Toronto
2015- Advisory Board Member, npj Regenerative Medicine
2017- Scientific Advisory Panel: The Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) Belgium
2018- International Jury, Fund for Scientific Research-FNRS (Belgian Research Funding Agency), Generet Award for Rare Diseases.
2019- Scientific Evaluation Committee, European Joint Program on Rare Diseases
Key research achievements
- Molecular biology: Identified the catalytic mechanism of apolipoprotein B RNA editing and defined a protein interaction network for CREBBP/p300, consisting of STAT2, HIF1A and CITED2, demonstrating CREBBP/p300 function in interferon-alpha and in hypoxia activated signalling.
- Cell and developmental biology: Developed magnetic resonance imaging of mouse embryos and discovered the role of CITED2 in cardiac, adrenal, neural and coronary vascular development, in left-right patterning and in the cell-cycle, the role of PCSK5 in cardiac development, anteroposterior patterning and HOX gene regulation, and established interaction between maternal diet and genetic factors in left-right patterning.
- Genetic Origins of Congenital Heart Disease (GO-CHD). Established the BHF funded GO-CHD cohort, which in concert with the UK10K study discovered several aspects of the mechanism of human congenital heart disease.
- Target discovery and therapeutics: Discovered role of splicing in BMP signalling, identified the retinoid tazarotene as an agent in wound healing and angiogenesis, and developed the “Bug-to-Drug” technology that led to the identification of a series of potent anti-chemokine agents from tick saliva.
- Livingston, D. M., Kung, A. L., and Bhattacharya, S. (1999) Identification of compounds that modify transcriptional responses to hypoxia. in International Application No. PCT/US00/15325, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, USA
- Bhattacharya, S., Braganca, J., and Swingler, T. (2001) Novel transcription transactivator protein. in UK Application No. 0006572.2, University of Oxford, UK
- De Belin, J., Romero-Martin, F. R., Finn, P. W., Sayers, L. G., Law, N. M., Billington, D. C., Ryley, S., and Bhattacharya, S. (2001) Barbituric acid analogs as therapeutic agents. in International Publication Number WO 01/93841 A2, Prolifix, Ltd. (Abingdon, Oxon), UK
- Bhattacharya, S. (2017) Evasins for use in therapy and diagnostics. in International Application No. WO2017149311A1, PCT/GB2017/050563, Oxford University Innovation Limited
- Bhattacharya, S. (2017) Treatment of fibrotic disorders. in International Application No. WO2017141032A1, PCT/GB2017/050397, Oxford University Innovation Limited
- Bhattacharya, S. (2017) Evasins for use in therapy and diagnostics. Priority application filed August 2017, Oxford University Innovation Limited.
Key first/senior author original articles in molecular cell biology/therapeutic target discovery of 123, h-index = 42 (Scopus https://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.uri?authorId=7404284575), ORCID 0000-0002-5571-0478.
- *Navaratnam, N., *Bhattacharya, S., Fujino, T., Patel, D., Jarmuz, A. L., and Scott, J. (1995) Evolutionary origins of apoB mRNA editing: catalysis by a cytidine deaminase that has acquired a novel RNA-binding motif at its active site (joint first authors). Cell 81, 187-195
- Bhattacharya, S., Eckner, R., Grossman, S., Oldread, E., Arany, Z., D’Andrea, A., and Livingston, D. M. (1996) Cooperation of Stat2 and p300/CBP in signalling induced by interferon-alpha. Nature 383, 344-347
- Bhattacharya, S., Michels, C. L., Leung, M. K., Arany, Z. P., Kung, A. L., and Livingston, D. M. (1999) Functional role of p35srj, a novel p300/CBP binding protein, during transactivation by HIF-1. Genes Dev 13, 64-75
- Bamforth, S. D., Braganca, J., Eloranta, J. J., Murdoch, J. N., Marques, F. I., Kranc, K. R., Farza, H., Henderson, D. J., Hurst, H. C., and Bhattacharya, S. (2001) Cardiac malformations, adrenal agenesis, neural crest defects and exencephaly in mice lacking Cited2, a new Tfap2 co-activator. Nat Genet 29, 469-474
- Braganca, J., Swingler, T., Marques, F. I., Jones, T., Eloranta, J. J., Hurst, H. C., Shioda, T., and Bhattacharya, S. (2002) Human CREB-binding protein/p300-interacting transactivator with ED-rich tail (CITED) 4, a new member of the CITED family, functions as a co-activator for transcription factor AP-2. J Biol Chem 277, 8559-8565
- Braganca, J., Eloranta, J. J., Bamforth, S. D., Ibbitt, J. C., Hurst, H. C., and Bhattacharya, S. (2003) Physical and functional interactions among AP-2 transcription factors, p300/CREB-binding protein, and CITED2. J Biol Chem 278, 16021-16029
- Bamforth, S. D., Braganca, J., Farthing, C. R., Schneider, J. E., Broadbent, C., Michell, A. C., Clarke, K., Neubauer, S., Norris, D., Brown, N. A., Anderson, R. H., and Bhattacharya, S. (2004) Cited2 controls left-right patterning and heart development through a Nodal-Pitx2c pathway. Nat Genet 36, 1189-1196
- Szumska, D., Pieles, G., Essalmani, R., Bilski, M., Mesnard, D., Kaur, K., Franklyn, A., El Omari, K., Jefferis, J., Bentham, J., Taylor, J. M., Schneider, J. E., Arnold, S. J., Johnson, P., Tymowska-Lalanne, Z., Stammers, D., Clarke, K., Neubauer, S., Morris, A., Brown, S. D., Shaw-Smith, C., Cama, A., Capra, V., Ragoussis, J., Constam, D., Seidah, N. G., Prat, A., and Bhattacharya, S. (2008) VACTERL/caudal regression/Currarino syndrome-like malformations in mice with mutation in the proprotein convertase Pcsk5. Genes Dev 22, 1465-1477
- Bentham, J., Michell, A. C., Lockstone, H., Andrew, D., Schneider, J. E., Brown, N. A., and Bhattacharya, S. (2010) Maternal high-fat diet interacts with embryonic Cited2 genotype to reduce Pitx2c expression and enhance penetrance of left-right patterning defects. Hum Mol Genet 19, 3394-3401
- Macdonald, S. T., Bamforth, S. D., Braganca, J., Chen, C. M., Broadbent, C., Schneider, J. E., Schwartz, R. J., and Bhattacharya, S. (2013) A cell-autonomous role of Cited2 in controlling myocardial and coronary vascular development. Eur Heart J 34, 2557-2565
- Al Haj Zen, A., Nawrot, D. A., Howarth, A., Caporali, A., Ebner, D., Vernet, A., Schneider, J. E., and Bhattacharya, S. (2016) The Retinoid Agonist Tazarotene Promotes Angiogenesis and Wound Healing. Mol Ther 24, 1745-1759
- Faherty, N., Benson, M., Sharma, E., Lee, A., Howarth, A., Lockstone, H., Ebner, D., and Bhattacharya, S. (2016) Negative autoregulation of BMP dependent transcription by SIN3B splicing reveals a role for RBM39. Sci Rep 6, 28210
- Singh, K., Davies, G., Alenazi, Y., Eaton, J. R. O., Kawamura, A., and Bhattacharya, S. (2017) Yeast surface display identifies a family of evasins from ticks with novel polyvalent CC chemokine-binding activities. Sci Rep 7, 4267
- Alenazi, Y., Singh, K., Davies, G., Eaton, J. R. O., Elders, P., Kawamura, A., and Bhattacharya, S. (2018) Genetically engineered two-warhead evasins provide a method to achieve precision targeting of disease-relevant chemokine subsets. Sci Rep 8, 6333
- Eaton, J. R. O., Alenazi, Y., Singh, K., Davies, G., Geis-Asteggiante, L., Kessler, B., Robinson, C. V., Kawamura, A., and Bhattacharya, S. (2018) The N-terminal domain of a tick evasin is critical for chemokine binding and neutralization and confers specific binding activity to other evasins. J Biol Chem 293, 6134-6146.
- Lee, A.W., Deruaz, M., Lynch, C., Davies, G., Singh, K., Alenazi, Y., Eaton, J.R.O., Kawamura, A., Shaw, J., Proudfoot, A.E.I., Dias, J.M. & Bhattacharya, S. A knottin scaffold directs the CXC-chemokine-binding specificity of tick evasins. Journal of Biological Chemistry 294, 11199-11212 (2019).